Nothing loves the South’s summer heat more than basil. Easy to grow, it adds a complex flavor to almost any dish – from strawberry sorbet to fresh tomato sauce. Even my two-year old wonders through my boxwood garden, where all five of my varieties grow, picking off basil leaves, and popping them in his mouth like M&M’s.
I am in love with this super easy Sweet Basil Vinaigrette. I keep a mason jar full and drizzle it on anything from grilled fish to a platter of home-grown tomatoes. Savor every bite of these precious fruits and vegetables – we are witnessing summer’s peak season from Georgia peaches and fresh figs to heirloom tomatoes and okra. It will all be gone before we know it!
10 WAYS WITH SWEET BASIL VINAIGRETTE:
- Top crostini with fresh peaches or strawberries, fresh mozzarella, and a drizzle of Basil Vinaigrette
- Roast small potatoes in 400°F oven; toss warm potatoes with dressing and serve with grated fresh Parmesan
- Grill or roast summer’s best vegetables and toss with Basil dressing and top with slivers of Pecorino cheese
- Roast or Grill fresh fish and top with chopped home-grown tomatoes tossed with Basil Vinaigrette
- Sliced grilled chicken over arugula, sliced peaches, avocado, sweet onion, and Basil Vinaigrette
- Toss with warm orzo pasta, diced fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives, and feta
- Cut corn off 4 ears, pulse in food processor and saute in skillet with a tap of butter. Season with salt and pepper and serve with grilled salmon drizzled with Basil Vinaigrette. Family favorite for us!
- Stir into mayonnaise for the ultimate sandwich spread or use basil mayo to brush fish before grilling
- Thinly slice grilled flank steak, drizzle with vinaigrette and serve over toasted crostini topped with fresh arugula
- Grill local shrimp and serve Basil Vinaigrette on the side as a dipping sauce